Wednesday, October 8, 2008

And Death said, "I am Haunted by Humans."

I have finished The Book Thief. Naturally, I try to run away from books that has contents depicting tragic life during wars and the holocaust. I am more of a renaissance/philosophical/romance kind of girl. So to me it is just too awful and I would just feel bad. In which case, I don't want to feel bad because nothing can ever justify what had happened to those innocent people. Also, it happened to those people so it does feel selfish to feel bad about them. But I decided to give it a try because it sparked this interest in me.

Before anything else, I would just like to mention that this is the most different, engrossing and eccentricly simple novel that I have read. It might as well be written for children but it has the essence and maturity for an adult.

Firt of all, the main thing that caught my attention was the narrator. It turns out that "Death" decided to tell the story of the "Book Thief." From his point of view, Death has shown interest in the human soul and is envious of the end of our lives whereas he has to be who he is until there is still humans left. We could all be dead and he could be alone. Now who will save him from his fate? Ironically, Death is envious of life or in a way reaching for life.

So Death was captivated by this little girl and he moment of thievery and remorse that Death wanted to share her story, one that she wrote in her own words.

Liesel Meminger - The Book Thief
Hans and Rosa Hubberman - Adoptive parents
Max - German Jew that the Hubbermans hid in their basement

and my favorite character

Rudy Steiner - Her loyal bestfriend who, in the entire book, has been asking her for a kiss, that she secretly loved.

XOXO Yana

No comments: