Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Mom, My Rock


As I walked out the door of my house to go to work I was greeted by an achingly gorgeous sunset.

I felt like I was looking at the gods' painting spread across the sky for mere mortals look at in awe. I rarely see the sky like that. Actually, I don't really notice it or even have the time to gaze up at it. It was a relief to see something beautiful and effortless still comes to life. The way life should ideally be. So imagine a burst of oranges spilled across the sky with egg yolks thrown over it. Okay, it sounds gross the way I am describing it but if you actually see it for yourself you would have cried thinking that what you are seeing is impossible. I guess it's the way we should all live our lives. Don't doubt anything, keep the faith because once something that you have been praying or hoping for happens, it's a tearjerker.

"Just when you thought things are in the worse possible situation, God surpasses your expectations and shows you a beautiful rainbow."

It's been a tough day for my mom. The doctor just told her that she needs a surgery to take out her uterus because there's a risk of cancer from her current medicine and that she has a lump, might be benign, in her cervix. Recently, she has had breast cancer and has been treated for chemotherapy. So far, thank God, she has been recovering quite well and has great hair to boot!

After finding out about the much needed surgeries, she broke down. It was difficult to watch any mother break down in tears in front of you. To me, they are always the backbone or the pillars when they're off springs are down. I realized then that there will come a time in a daughter's life that she must act as the strong, "motherly" pillar. And I am sure that this is my time.

Some minutes passed and I thought that it was good of her to cry. She needed to pour out all that emotions; just let it out. She needed the release and I am glad to give it to her. I wanted to tell her, "don't worry mom, I'll be strong for you this time."

I know in my heart that everything will be alright. God does not give His child a challenge that he or she cannot conquer. My mom has a strong willed support system holding her hand all the way. My courageous dad, my good-hearted aunt, my strong-willed big sister, my sweet dear brother, my crazy-ass international friends and me...

She will get through this like a pro.
She is a fighter and already a survivor.
My mom is strong like a rock and has all the faith in God like a saint.
She is my rock and my inspiration.
She is my hero.
And I love her with all my heart.

She is now feeling much better and coping with everything better than I expected.

XOXO Yana

No comments: