Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Life is a Single Skip for Joy

I have been working hard lately... yes! I have been working and if anyone thinks otherwise well, your opinion does not matter here. It was a surprise to me that I did not have to work yesterday and today. Thank God! I deserve it. What did I do? I caught up with some television shows I love and rented movies that I have been dying to watch and just got lazy. What?!?! I deserve it.

Moving on... I rented a movie called "Dedication." I saw its previews online and just by looking at it, it has my name attached to it. I love dry movies. They are simple yet full of content; straight-forward yet you get a feeling of mystery for all it's incomplexities.

First of, I love Mandy Moore. I have been a big fan since her A Walk to Remember days and although her movies lately has not given her much justice, I still remain her groupie. She did try more teen movies after and just left her on a plateau. (Chasing Liberty is an exception and that left me in a love trance) Later on, she went into this phase of weird, bizarre roles in movies that I was about to give up my interest. Then came her dumb romantic comedies which I thought were cute but lacks substance for her talent. Finally, Dedication, I felt, gave her that area which she could actually excel into. Let me just get this out of the way... I love this movie!!!

As for Billy Crudup, who plays opposite Mandy Moore, he did give a stellar performance in my opinion. I liked his movies such as Almost Famous (Cool movie, btw), Big Fish, Stage Beauty (love, love love!), and Trust the Man. I do feel that he is a good actor that deserves more credit than what is given to him from his movies and projects. He can dive into a character and embrace it without any reservations. He also ain't bad to look at.



Billy Crudup plays Henry Roth, a successful children's book writer who lives a dull life. The only person he does care about is his collaborator, Rudy, who recently died and left him to finish his next children's book. Henry needs to work with Lucy, Mandy Moore's character, who is an illustrator, to finish his next book.

Henry Roth is... let's just say, he is not good with the ladies. He pushes people away and just wants to be by himself in his dump of an apartment in solace. He is very rude towards Lucy and pushes her away at every opportunity he gets. He does this because he unknowingly is falling for her eccentricities and her balls to snap back at him. Henry has a problem with sleeping, riding in cars and asking help from friends and she helps him get over those fears. Lucy has a tough exterior but deep inside, she wants a man to woo her too. This happens through Henry's little gestures...

1. Gives her this tiny, unusual, unique rock. He throws the rock at a beach full of pebbles and later on finds it for her. (How sweet is that?!?!?)

2. Borrows a friend's beach house so that she can concentrate on her work.

3. Gives her a telescope that she has been wanting since childhood.

I cannot give the movie justice with my words... You just have to go see for yourself...

They have hilarious dialogues and sweet moments together that even with all that animosities, craziness and sarcasm thrown all together, you can't help but root for the two to end up. Let me just praise the writer, David Bromberg, for this movie. The dialogues are funny and sarcastic and just beautifully written. I was laughing the whole time. Brilliant!!!

Here are some quotes for you...

"The reason why people get together now because they think they're looking for similarly broken people."

"Life is nothing but the echo of joy disappearing into the great chasm of misery."

"Life is nothing but the occasional burst of laughter rising above the interminable wail of grief."

"Don't accuse me of not liking you."

"You're the goddamn thing!"

aww....sighs...another hit for Ms. Moore

P.S. THIS IS FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO GAVE UP, IS GIVING UP, AND IS GOING TO GIVE UP ON LOVE. YOU ARE NOT AS HOPELESS AS YOU THINK. THERE ARE FAR MORE HOPELESS PEOPLE THAN YOU ARE. GET OVER IT. MWAHUGS!!!

XOXO Yana

No comments: